Saturday 12 December 2020

Facebook Censorship


Figure 1

I watched this video on BitChute that featured a range of medical professionals warning against the dangers of the Covid-19 vaccine. I posted a link to it on my Facebook site, mainly to see what action Facebook would take against it. Figure 1 shows a screenshot.

The post was quickly flagged as containing false information but the link was preserved so my Facebook friends could click on it if they chose. I was expecting some response but nothing came and it seems clear that I've been shadow banned described by Wikipedia as:
Shadow banning, also called stealth banning, ghost banning or comment ghosting, is the act of blocking or partially blocking a user or their content from an online community so that it will not be readily apparent to the user that they have been banned.

I'm not sure if that's what's happened. Facebook may simply not be promoting my post because the company's algorithm decides who sees what posts. Thus if someone visited my site they could still see my post, so I've not been banned.

One of my Facebook friends confirmed that my post had not appeared in his feed as it usually does but it was accessible if he went to my site. Thus if I wanted people to see it, I would have to message them and tell them to visit my site. One has to be more subtle if information is to be disseminated. For example, one could perhaps disguise the link as:

wwwdotbitchutedotcomslashvideoslashTlxWZHk5yhFM

However, I don't think I'll bother. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube are other such sites are of little use in presenting alternative viewpoints. The censorship will only intensify and it is better to migrate to alternative platforms sooner rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment